Dental crowns are common in many dental practices. They are used in a variety of ways, and therefore can be great for many of our patients. Dr. Michael Stern of Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills is a committed dental professional who can discuss with his patients the benefits of crowns for teeth and how they are used to improve health and aesthetics.
Dental crowns are sometimes referred to as “caps.” This is because they “cap” the tooth. They cover all sides and the top. Often, they are acting as a protective covering for teeth that are broken or weak. In other situations, they are used for restoring dental implants to replace an entire tooth. This versatility makes them one of the commonly used treatments in the practice of Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills.
Many patients ask us when they may need crowns for their teeth. Crowns are typically used in cases that teeth need to be strengthened, covered, protected, or replaced. Here are some common situations that may warrant the fabrication and placement of a dental crown:
- A tooth has had a root canal and is now weaker than it was before
- A tooth has been chipped or cracked to the point composite resin bonding cannot maintain the structure
- A tooth has permanent staining and needs to be covered to help it match with the rest of the smile
- A dental implant has been placed and needs to be restored with a crown to look and function like a natural tooth
- A dental bridge needs to be fabricated and therefore needs crowns for each end
As you can see, dental crowns are used in many dental situations and should be considered by patients for restoration of the smile.
If you think you may benefit from the placement of a dental bridge, contact Dr. Michael Stern at Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills today. He can provide an evaluation of the smile and discuss possible ways of restoring it and improving function and aesthetics with cosmetic and restorative dental care solutions.