Discover the Importance of Oral Cancer Screenings
At Smile Brighter, our Willoughby Hills, OH dentist, Dr. Phillip Wallace, believes that a radiant smile goes beyond aesthetics—it is a reflection of your overall well-being. That’s why we are committed to providing exceptional dental care that goes the extra mile. In addition to our comprehensive range of services, we are proud to offer an essential component of preventive care: oral cancer screenings.
What Are Oral Cancer Screenings?
An oral cancer screening is a preventive procedure performed by dental professionals to detect signs of oral cancer or precancerous conditions in their early stages. This screening is quick, painless, and non-invasive, making it an essential part of your routine dental care.
Benefits of Oral Cancer Screenings
- Early Detection: Detecting oral cancer at an early stage significantly increases the chances of successful treatment and recovery.
- Reduced Treatment Complexity: When oral cancer is detected early, treatment options are often less invasive, less costly, and more successful.
- Peace of Mind: Regular screenings provide peace of mind, knowing that your oral health is being monitored and any potential issues are being addressed promptly.
Who Is a Candidate for Oral Cancer Screenings?
Everyone can benefit from oral cancer screenings, regardless of age or risk factors. While some individuals may be at higher risk due to factors such as tobacco or alcohol use, previous oral cancer history, or HPV infection, it is important to remember that oral cancer can affect anyone. Therefore, Dr. Wallace recommends oral cancer screenings for all of our patients.
How the Procedure Works
During an oral cancer screening at Smile Brighter, our experienced Willoughby Hills dentist will carefully examine your mouth, gums, tongue, and throat for any abnormalities or signs of oral cancer. The procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Visual Examination: The dentist will visually inspect your mouth, looking for any unusual lumps, sores, or discolored areas.
- Physical Palpation: The dentist may gently touch and feel areas of your mouth and neck to check for any swelling, lumps, or other abnormalities.
- Additional Diagnostic Tests: In some cases, additional tests such as a biopsy or imaging may be recommended to further evaluate any suspicious areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
We recommend an oral cancer screening as part of your routine dental check-up, which is typically every six months. However, your dentist may recommend more frequent screenings based on your individual risk factors.
If an abnormality or suspicious area is found during the screening, your dentist may recommend further diagnostic tests, such as a biopsy, to determine the nature of the abnormality and develop an appropriate treatment plan if necessary.
Yes, certain lifestyle changes can help reduce the risk of oral cancer. These include quitting tobacco use, limiting alcohol consumption, practicing good oral hygiene, and receiving the HPV vaccine.
Experience Oral Cancer Screenings at Smile Brighter!
At Smile Brighter in Willoughby Hills, OH, we prioritize your oral health, which is why we offer comprehensive oral cancer screenings. These screenings are vital in detecting oral cancer at its early stages, allowing for more successful treatment outcomes. By choosing regular oral cancer screenings, you take an important step toward maintaining your oral health and overall well-being. Schedule your appointment today by calling us at (440) 210-0999 to experience the exceptional care provided by our dedicated dental professionals at Smile Brighter.