Periodontal disease is a serious condition that requires serious attention. This disease, also known as gum disease, requires immediately periodontal care to reverse the condition or at least control it, depending on the stage. Dr. Stern of Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills can help patients address the condition, and works with them to ensure it doesn’t return in the future!
Periodontal disease is characterized by symptoms such as:
- Bad breath that cannot be addressed with brushing, flossing, or mouthwash
- Gums that become red, swollen, or appear infected
- Gums that cause pain and discomfort
- Bleeding from the gums when patients brush or floss their teeth
- Pain coming from one or more teeth, which may indicate a cavity or infection
- Large pockets between the gum tissue and the teeth
- Teeth that are loose or falling out due to damaged bone and gum structure
Patients who notice these problems are encouraged to visit a dental professional such as Dr. Stern of Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills to improve their condition and keep it from progressing to the point where restorations may needed.
Dr. Stern offers non-surgical gum treatments for periodontal disease such as Perio Protect. This treatment is applied at home with special trays to help address the bacteria present in the mouth. By reducing this bacteria, patients can avoid re-infection of the mouth. When patients have periodontal disease or any other infection in the oral cavity, they may be at a higher risk for other medical conditions including heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes. Studies have shown an oral systemic connection that causes one’s oral health to affect the health of their entire body.
People in the Willoughby Hills area who are considering a new dental team that is committed to helping patients improve the health and appearance of their smile are welcome to contact Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills today to schedule a consultation appointment and examination with our team. We work with patients to listen to their desires and help them achieve their oral health goals.