You’ve just had a dental exam and you’ve just received the dreaded news that you have a cavity that will need to be drilled on so a filling can be put into place. Anxiety. Trepidation. Fear. These are just a few of the feelings that many patients feel immediately upon hearing this news. Thinking about the needles and drills can leave many in a cold sweat. Dr. Michael Stern and his team at Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills don’t want you to go through these unwanted emotions. This is why Dr. Stern offers dental fillings without drilling. No Drilling Fillings is a technique Dr. Stern has personally researched and instituted, with great effect, for patients.
How Can a Cavity Be Removed Without Drilling?
The process is incredibly simple and uses just a gentle stream composed of sand-like particles and air. Using this mixture, the damaged area of the tooth can be removed. If it helps, compare the process to that of a sandblaster (albeit a much gentler one!). The process itself is incredibly gentle and produces very little noise so that a patient who might normally have some dental anxiety doesn’t need to worry as they would when having to hear the loud noises a traditional dental drill would produce as it drills away the tooth. Removing a cavity with this process is incredibly effective and allows for a significantly larger portion of the healthy tooth to remain.
Benefits of No Drilling Fillings
No drilling fillings offer a range of benefits over traditional dental work requiring drilling. Most patients prefer this method due to what it offers over the dental drill.
- The process is typically painless and requires no numbing or needles
- You can retain a larger portion of the surrounding healthy tooth
- Treatment time is shortened
- The treatment produces minimal noise, heat, pressure or vibration
- The treatment protects your tooth and leaves it strengthened
- There is a significantly lower risk of breaking your tooth enamel
- The materials used to produce a natural look, which some traditional filling methods are unable to accomplish