If you are missing teeth and, due to this, are not as proud of your smile as you wish you could be, then a dental bridge may be the answer you’ve been looking for. Dr. Michael Stern and his team at Smile Brighter Dentistry in Willoughby Hills, OH offers a top-quality dental bridge procedure that will have you showing off your beautiful smile again.
If you are unaware of what a dental bridge is, think of it as an actual bridge that will fill in the gap where you are missing teeth. Dental bridges consist of a crown for the teeth on each end of the gap. These anchoring teeth, also called abutments, are what anchor the bridge. In between the abutments are artificial teeth, called pontics, which are created to match the shade and shape of surrounding natural teeth. Pontics can be fabricated from porcelain, alloys or gold as well as a combination of the three. A dental bridge is supported, on both sides, by either your remaining teeth or, if needed, implants.
What are the benefits of a dental bridge?
A dental bridge offers specific benefits, both cosmetic and functional.
- You’ll regain your ability to have proper and full chewing power
- Your ability to properly speak will be restored
- Your smile will be restored giving you confidence to show it off again
- Your face will be able to maintain its shape and you will not have degradation of your jawbone.
- Your bite will have proper force distribution once the missing teeth are replaced
- Prevents your remaining teeth from shifting into the open gap that your missing teeth used to inhabit
Dental bridge options
When looking at your dental bridge options, there are multiple choices which are typically offered, with the most common being:
- Traditional bridge – A crown is created for the teeth on each side of the gap (or an implant if there aren’t any suitable teeth available) with the pontic between these crowns. This type of bridge is the most used variety and are crafted from either porcelain which is fused to metal or ceramic.
- Cantilever bridge – This type of crown is used when there are natural teeth along only one side of the gap. These will typically be suitable for the back of the mouth and is not very common.
If you have a gap in your smile, a bridge may be a great solution to restore your smile and retain your facial structure. Call Dr. Michael Stern at Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills today for an appointment at (440) 210-0999.