Patients in Willoughby Hills ask, “Why is teeth whitening so popular today?”
We offer a wide variety of cosmetic dental treatments here at Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills. Considering that appearance and image are so very important in society today, it is no surprise that treatments from porcelain veneers to smile makeovers are incredibly popular. However, there is one procedure that stands out, with more patient requests every day, and that is teeth whitening.
Why whiten your teeth?
On average, children begin losing their primary (baby) teeth around six or seven years of age. By the time they become teenagers, all the visible secondary (adult) teeth have appeared. If the person maintains good oral health, those teeth will last for the rest of his or her life. Unfortunately, the sparkling white color of young teeth does not last.
Time takes a toll. Enamel gets thinner, which allows darker layers to show through. Teeth acquire stains from food and drinks such as berries, black coffee, and red wine. Habits like smoking cause discoloration. Gradually, a once-brilliant smile becomes dingy, yellowish or brownish, with color variations and dark spots. Why does it matter so much? A smile survey by the AACD (American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry) helps answer that question. Their results reveal:
- Your smile is an important social asset, according to more than 99 percent of American adults.
- Having a nice smile makes a person more attractive to potential romantic partners.
- About three out of four people believe that the appearance of your smile can impact your opportunities for career success.
- When asked what attributes people noticed first about someone’s smile, the top answers were straightness of teeth, color and brightness, sparkle, any gaps, and the sincerity of the smile.
- When asked what smile improvements were most desirable, the most popular answer was brighter, whiter teeth.
Why patients prefer dental whitening
You can walk into any drugstore, and you will find shelves lined with a plethora of readily available products claiming to wipe away stains and give you the brilliant smile you desire. So, why do so many people choose professional teeth whitening from Smile Brighter Willoughby Hills instead? The short answer is that it works better, it is safer, and it is faster. Here is a more detailed comparison:
- Toothpaste – Whitening toothpastes generally contain abrasive ingredients. They can remove any buildup on the surface of teeth, creating a somewhat brighter appearance. However, they don’t bleach out deep stains. Furthermore, some abrasives are simply too harsh, and they can actually damage tooth enamel. If you decide to use these products, please ask your dentist for recommendations on the safest brand.
- Mouth rinse – Generally, you swish for a few seconds to a couple of minutes, and you are done. These formulas might contain whitening ingredients, but they don’t stay in contact with the surface of teeth long enough to achieve significant improvement.
- Whitening strips – This is usually the most effective type of drugstore product, but even strips are very limited. For safety reasons, commercially available products are limited in strength, much like over-the-counter vs prescription medications.
- Dental whitening – This method has the distinction of being the most effective, and the safest, way to brighten your smile. We begin with a complete examination, to ensure that there are no exposed nerves or other health issues that may contraindicate whitening. If you are a good candidate, we use Zoom chairside whitening treatment, which can brighten your smile by several shades in just one appointment. We also offer a Perpetual White program that allows patients to maintain their brilliant new smiles for life.
How to get your brightest, most beautiful smile
Whether you want to make a good impression at your upcoming job interview, look great for your class reunion, take your best selfie ever, or simply feel great when you look in the mirror – teeth whitening can be a great solution. It requires no permanent alteration to your teeth, and it can deliver a dazzling smile in about an hour. Additionally, virtually anyone with good oral health is a candidate for this fast and effective cosmetic treatment.